Monday, 17 July 2017

Stargazing for Beginners by Jenny McLachlan



Stargazing for Beginners by Jenny McLachlan
Published April 6, 2017 by Bloomsbury
Source: the publisher
Rating: 5 stars


From the blurb: Science geek Meg is left to look after her little sister for ten days after her free-spirited mum leaves suddenly to follow up yet another of her Big Important Causes. But while Meg may understand how the universe was formed, baby Elsa is a complete mystery to her.
And Mum's disappearance has come at the worst time: Meg is desperate to win a competition to get the chance to visit NASA headquarters, but to do this she has to beat close rival Ed. Can Meg pull off this double life of caring for Elsa and following her own dreams? She'll need a miracle of cosmic proportions …

Fifteen-year-old Megara Clark, Meg for short, finds herself abandoned by her mother and left in charge of her younger half sister, Elsa. Her mother, a nurse and volunteer, gets caught up in a new cause and flies off to Myanmar, leaving Meg in charge. Meg's grandad lives nearby, but he's often just as messy and unreliable as her mum, even though he's caring and supportive. Meg's plans to win a competition gets derailed by her mother's sudden absence, despite her attempts to stick to her plan.

I adore Jenny McLachlan's Ladybird series - four books about a group of friends, and I could not wait for her latest, Stargazing for Beginners. It did not disappoint. I immediately connected with Meg. It's clear her neatness, organisation, and love of planning is a direct response to the irresponsibility and unreliability of her mother. Meg's dream of becoming an astronaut was admirable, as was the fact that she knew exactly how she was going to achieve it. I loved that she was proud of her intelligence and that she was open about her love of science and space.

Unfortunately for Meg, her BFF moved to New Zealand, so she spends her lunch times alone in the library, and often sits alone in class. Though, she is in a friendly rivalry with classmate Ed, as he is also extremely smart. Through Ed, Meg has some interaction with other students like Bella and Raj. Meg also makes some new friends thanks to getting a detention, and they provide much needed support to her and Elsa.

Meg's home life left me feeling helpless and angry. Her mum's complete disregard was infuriating, especially as she left them without any money. Meg has anxiety about not letting anyone know they've been abandoned which is even more stressful for her. But, this more serious plot line was balanced perfectly by the romance and friendship in the story. Ed's obvious feelings for Meg made me so happy. Poor Meg doesn't realise that Ed returns her feelings, so watching them bumble around was sweet and heartwarming.

Ableist language: idiot, twit, insane, crazy, mental, lame.

Stargazing for Beginners is a funny, clever, heartwarming story of a girl who has a big dream. Meg's ambition, determination, and intelligence makes her a wonderfully relatable character, and she's sure to inspire teens to pursue their own dreams, no matter what!

Thank you to Bloomsbury for my copy.


Cover illustration: Levante Szabó.

This is such a gorgeous cover, it's so perfect for the story. I love the beautiful illustration, the shades of blue, and the matte finish with shiny accents. Stunning!

I filmed a tutorial for how I painted this set of nails, this one is fairly easy to do. Check it out below or on my YouTube channel, Cook Read Create.








3 comments:

  1. Nice review and nail art. The cover design is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover for this one, Mands! This sounds like another great contemporary read. :) If you know my tastes you already know I love them! I'm excited for tomorrow's #YAFEST17 btw, I wish I could get my nails painted with you but my nails need to be kept short and polish-free as a nurse. Any chance you can just like, give me a plastic nail? XD That would totally make my day! But I wouldn't even know what book I would want.. too many choices! I'll definitely push myself to say hi to you though, it's going to be a great night! I'll be an Asian wearing a dress of some sort. :P

    Cass @ Words on Paper

    ReplyDelete

Hi, hi, hi!
Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment.
My priority is to return comments on YOUR blogs because I know how much a comment can make someone's day!
If I have time I will also try to comment back on my blog.
Mands xox